First baby born in Fresno County in 2014
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Mission accomplished for one determined woman hoping to deliver the first baby of 2014 in Fresno County. Isabel Viramontes could barely get a word in when talking about her delivery. She delivered her healthy baby girl Bella Adelyne at Clovis Community Hospital at 12:01 a.m. New Year's Day.
When the 20-year-old learned her due date was December 31, she made it a mission to give birth to Fresno's first baby.
When Viramontes went into labor early Tuesday morning she did what she could to stall the delivery.
"She came in and went home she went home and knew she was going to be the New Year's baby and didn't want to stay," Dr. Sharon Kopacz said.
Viramontes stayed home until 11 p.m. and that is when doctors broke her water.
Sharon Kopacz was the doctor that helped Viramontes' dream come true. Delivering the New Year's baby is something she has been waiting to be a part of for 13 years.
"It's such a special event no matter what town you're in its just such a huge deal to be the first baby," Kopacz said.
Bella weighed in at seven pounds, five ounces and is 19 inches long. She is the first child for Viramontes, and her boyfriend of two years Genaro Rubio.
"It was kind of surreal to me the whole experience," Viramontes said.
The couple plans on getting married eventually, but right now they're on focusing on providing for their little girl.
"I want to put her through college and I hope she lives a long and successful life," Rubio said.
The North Valley's first baby of 2014 was a little boy named Jake. He was born at Madera Community hospital at 12:02 p.m.
The South Valley's New Year's baby, Brea made her entrance into the world at 3:39 a.m. at Kaweah Delta Medical Center in Visalia. She weighed in at seven pounds, nine ounces and was 19 inches long.
For being the first baby born at Kaweah Delta Medical Center in 2014 Brea received a crocheted blanket from the hospital.
fresno county, good news, local, mariana jacob
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos