Honoring the life of a young Fresno woman
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Family and friends are honoring the life of a young woman killed on New Year's Day after the car she was in crashed into a horse which had wandered onto Highway 99 near Earlimart.
Investigators say 22 year-old Soledad Hernandez died during the accident. Family members say Soledad had great things in her future. She dreamed of becoming a teacher and was engaged to be married this summer.
Grief filled the air outside a West Central Fresno church where people remembered the short life of Soledad Hernandez. At the vigil they paid tribute to the 22-year-old who was engaged and planned to get married to David Rojo.
On New Year's Day the couple and two friends were traveling back into town. California Highway Patrol says a horse wandered onto the highway. The driver wasn't able to swerve out of the way and slammed into the animal. The horse hit the windshield they believe the impact killed Hernandez.
The Fresno State student who had a strong faith lost her mom at a young age -- so we spoke with her future mother-in-law who is reeling from the tragic accident. "She's like my daughter. She asked me if I can be her mom and I really loved her. I feel like I lost my daughter," said Consuelo Rojo.
local, mariana jacob
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Los Angeles police get loaner Lamborghini
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Consumer Reports: Skip extended car warranties
- Diamond 'Dogs swept by New Mexico
- Accuweather Forecast
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos