Vandals hit an Atwater neighborhood
ATWATER, Calif. (KFSN) -- People in the North Valley are on edge after a string of similar crimes impacted their neighborhoods. Atwater police are calling this one of the worst cases of vandalism they've seen in years.
The sharp pieces of glass scattered underneath her car remind Othella Haley-Jones about the vandalism which took place right in front of her driveway.
"First thing my husband saw was there was glass all over the street and we were like OMG and it was a rock, somebody had thrown a rock through the window or smashed the car with a rock," said Jones.
Around the block another neighbor also woke up and found two shattered windows on his pick-up truck.
"It's frustrating because you know everyone around here is working hard to get that money to put away so it's definitely frustrating," said Ruben Garcia.
Police say on Sunday morning the calls started pouring in from more than a dozen other victims.
They all reported someone had smashed windows and dented their cars overnight. Officers say neighborhoods were hit all throughout the city. They believe one or more suspects used rocks or BB guns to damage cars.
"This is a property crime but this is a quality of life issue. Nobody wants to go to bed at night - wake up and have a smashed windshield. That's vandalism," said Cpl. William Novetezke.
Neighbors say repairing smashed in windows isn't cheap - so they hope whoever did it gets caught, real quick. Anyone with information is asked to call police.
crimetracker, atwater, merced county, local, mariana jacob
- Pedestrian killed in Fresno HWY 99 hit and run 22 min ago
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes 1 min ago
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos