Suspect opened fire on police in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police have taken eight people into custody in connection with an officer-involved shooting that took place in Central Fresno. It happened in a neighborhood near Fresno and Belmont.
Investigators say two officers on a tactical team were searching for 31-year-old Byron Acosta who was wanted on a felony warrant for possession of meth. During the search, investigators say two men walked towards the officers. And one started shooting.
"One of them opens fire and strikes the patrol vehicle, the windshield for sure. At least four shots were fired," said Lt. Joe Gomez.
The officers were not hit but detectives and detectives say the violence took place so fast, they couldn't return fire. One suspect was arrested at the scene. Officers spent hours searching for the other one.
During the search they asked neighbors to stay indoors for their own safety.
Investigators say it's not clear at this point whether one of people in custody is the gunman.
officer involved shooting, fresno police department, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local, mariana jacob
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say 13 min ago
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low 30 min ago
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest