Suspect opened fire on police in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police have taken eight people into custody in connection with an officer-involved shooting that took place in Central Fresno. It happened in a neighborhood near Fresno and Belmont.
Investigators say two officers on a tactical team were searching for 31-year-old Byron Acosta who was wanted on a felony warrant for possession of meth. During the search, investigators say two men walked towards the officers. And one started shooting.
"One of them opens fire and strikes the patrol vehicle, the windshield for sure. At least four shots were fired," said Lt. Joe Gomez.
The officers were not hit but detectives and detectives say the violence took place so fast, they couldn't return fire. One suspect was arrested at the scene. Officers spent hours searching for the other one.
During the search they asked neighbors to stay indoors for their own safety.
Investigators say it's not clear at this point whether one of people in custody is the gunman.
officer involved shooting, fresno police department, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local, mariana jacob
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe