Crews demolish decades old theater in Livingston
LIVINGSTON, Calif. (KFSN) -- Crews demolished the nearly 70-year-old Court Theater building in Livingston on Monday.
The final scene for Livingston's Court Theater played out much like a movie. First, suspense as the monster-like claw of the excavator crept closer and closer to the facade. Then, drama as the front of the building came crashing down.
Dozens of spectators stood and watched, clutching cell phones and cameras instead of popcorn. For many, it was not a happy ending. "Oh man it kind of saddens you to watch it come down," said Jimmy Ramirez, Livingston.
The iconic building has stood in this spot since 1945. Longtime residents have fond memories of everything from first dates to favorite films. Barbara Ratzlaff used to live nearby and also worked as an usher. "I went to a lot of movies and grew up walking back and forth, paying maybe 12, 15 cents to get in."
The theater closed in 1977 and has stayed empty ever since. The city bought it for $120-thousand in 2001 with hopes of restoring the dilapidated landmark to a modern masterpiece. "Over the years we tried everything possible to restore the project, get grant funding, but money is tight everywhere, and it's hard to put $7 million into a project when you're laying off city employees," said Gurpal Samra, Mayor Pro Tem.
So instead, the council voted last year to demolish the building because of safety concerns. Officials are now planning to remove the rubble and plant sod for a temporary park, but they have a bigger dream still in mind for the sequel. "This is a new chapter for the community. We would love to have a performing arts building here of some sort so we're going to see what the community would like to do and how we can achieve that," said Jose Ramirez, City Manager.
The city manager says any big plans to replace the theater would likely require a private-public partnership. Workers did save the marquee from the court theater in hopes it can be re-used in the future.
livingston, merced county, local, sara sandrik
- Officer-involved shooting in Northeast Fresno 14 min ago
- Man shot in the upper torso in Parlier 5 min ago
- Large fire guts warehouse southeast of Fresno 32 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Large fire guts warehouse in Fresno County
32 min ago