Parlier High teacher and coach arrested on sex charges
PARLIER, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Parlier High School teacher is behind bars accused of sexually assaulting an underage teenager.
Sanger police have identified the teacher as 25-year-old Anthony Lepore. Clovis Police arrested him Saturday at his home on the 1500 block of Barstow.
Sgt. Noel Johnson, with the Sanger Police Department, says the crime took place Friday evening, in the 1800 block of Swan Avenue in Sanger.
The victim in the alleged assault is a 16-year-old girl. Her parents reported her missing around Midnight Saturday morning. She arrived home a few hours later, after being dropped off by Lepore.
"They waited for their daughter to come home," Johnson said. "They then confronted the suspect as he brought her home. Then there was an altercation between the suspect and the victim's parents."
Parlier Police Chief, David Cerda, says during the altercation, Lepore tried to run over the victim's parents with his car. Parlier police officers are investigating that aspect of the case.
Parlier Unified School District Superintendent, Gerardo Alvarez, says Lepore taught math at the school. He taught 9th through 12th grades. He is also the coach for the boys' varsity basketball team.
Alvarez says Lepore started working for the district August 20th and it was his first teaching job. Lepore had recently graduated from Fresno State and was recommended by a former Fresno County Superintendent.
"It's very shocking," Alvarez said. "As far as I'm concerned, we haven't had any complaints on this particular teacher. We didn't see any red flags or any indication that anything was happening."
Alvarez says they have a new coach and a substitute teacher to take over for Lepore's team and classes. Alvarez also added that Lepore's career with Parlier Unified is over.
"Regardless of what the results are, he will not be returning to the school district," he said.
Lepore is facing five felony charges including Lewd and Lascivious acts with a juvenile. He is also facing an assault with a deadly weapons charge which stems from the victim's parents claim that Lepore tried to run them over.
parlier, fresno county, sex crimes, local, anthony pura
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well 52 min ago
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered