Riverdale comes together to help a family in need
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The fundraising efforts are continuing to help a devastated father and husband cope with the loss of his wife and four children. A car show was held to help the family during this tragic time.
More than $20,000.00 has been raised so far by the Riverdale community and beyond. The funerals have already been donated, and the headstones were as well.
The stone that will mark the place Esmeralda Saucedo and her four children will rest is being prepped with personal touches and effects. It was designed by Joe Saucedo, Esmeralda's husband and the father of the children.
"We're actually doing two monuments, they are going to be side by side," said Rico Robles of Rico's Memorial Stone. "These are flat 12 by 24 markers. But the story we are going to tell is going to flow from one monument to the other."
Esmeralda and her children, Breanna, Jada, Nikko and Isaac all died last weekend not far from their Riverdale home. They were on their way to Chuck E Cheese when CHP officers say another driver ran a stop sign at Excelsior and Marks. The car burst into flames, killing all five.
Since then, the outpouring of love and support for Joe Saucedo has been overwhelming. He was following behind his wife in another car and tried to get his family out but the fire was too intense.
The funeral services have been donated by chapel of the light, including the caskets. In addition, the flowers, church, and organist have also been gifts from the community.
Teng Vang, owns Lollicup Coffee and Tea. He's donating a dollar from each large drink he sales Friday night to the memorial fund. His business is in Fresno, but that doesn't matter. Compassion has stretched across the Central Valley.
"It's very sad to see the whole family go out like that way," said Teng Vang. "It's so tragic."
Even the Riverdale Chamber of Commerce has donated a $500.00 scholarship to a graduating Riverdale High Senior in the family's memory.
A rosary is set for Monday night at 7:00 at St. Ann's Catholic Church in Riverdale. The funeral is Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. at the same church.
local, sontaya rose
- Officer-involved shooting in Northeast Fresno 51 min ago
- Man shot in upper torso in Parlier; 1 person detained 30 min ago
- Large fire guts warehouse southeast of Fresno
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 23 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes