Medically Indigent Services Program keeps funding
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Supporters are calling a judge's preliminary decision a huge victory for thousands of Fresno County families. A court ruled to keep funding for a program which provides healthcare to those who can't afford it.
Dozens of people celebrated a small victory not far from the steps of the B.F. Siske Courthouse.
On Tuesday a judge made the tentative decision to keep county funds pumping into the "Medically Indigent Services Program," also known as MISP. Supporters back that decision. They believe without the money thousands of low income families will suffer.
"A lot of people have depended on it just like my mom. We really want to keep this program here in this county. It belongs to us. We pay for this program with our taxes," said Oday Guerrero.
Guerreo came to show her support for MISP. She joined workers from Fresno's Building Healthy Communities who believe even with Affordable Healthcare now in place, thousands of people will go uninsured.
"Folks who are eligible will not sign up in time, the deadline to sign up is looming at the end of march, folks who are experiencing challenges or mental illness will not be able to sign up," said Sandra Celedon - Castro.
Last year the Board of Supervisors pushed to slash MISP due to a lack of state funding but a judge has indicated he's leaning towards denying their request. Action News has reach out to the attorney representing the Board of Supervisors for a comment but our calls were not returned.
local, mariana jacob
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- Search continues for Tulare County OIS suspect
- Drop in Valley flu cases
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos