Report: Robber throws man down Auburn- Gresham stairwell
November 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- A 62-year-old veteran is in critical condition after he fell from a third-story stairwell during an apparent robbery.
Andrew Walls may have been pushed, police said, from a stairwell in the 7700-block of South Halsted in the Auburn-Gresham neighborhood on Tuesday night.
"He is still somebody's grandfather. He may still be someone's father. And he's still person. And to the person that did this crime he needs to turn himself in because you can't live with it on your conscience," community activist Andrew Holmes said.
Walls, a Navy veteran, encountered a robber who had just stolen someone's wallet, police said, and struggled with the offender before falling down the landing.
Walls lives at St. Leo Residence for Veterans, a seven-year-old institution run by Catholic Charities.
"It was a surprise that we heard what had happened to him. He is not an aggressive person. I don't know why he was there at that time, but maybe somebody was helping him and he was deceived some kind of way," Maurice Madison, Air Force veteran, said.
"He is just a loving person and I just don't understand how a person could do that to him," Regina Lowe, Air Force veteran, said.
Walls was rushed to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. He has a fractured skull and is in critical condition.
Chicago police are investigating. While the building where the incident took place has cameras, the property manager said they were not working.
The cameras weren't working at the building, according to a property manager.
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000 15 min ago
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base 7 min ago
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Teen kicked in head taking selfie in front...
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos