East Bay News
Oakland city employees call 1 day strike for Monday
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland city employee unions have said they will call a one-day strike on Monday, Mayor Jean Quan said this evening.
Quan said she and city negotiators met with representatives of International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers Local 21 and Service Employees International Union Local 1021 on Friday and presented a proposal that included cost-of-living increases.
The unions declined the city's offer to continue talks over the weekend, Quan said.
City facilities, programs and services will be shut down or severely reduced if a strike occurs, Quan said.
Police, fire and emergency services personnel will not participate in a strike and online services will remain available, Quan said.
In addition, the Broadway Shuttle and the East Oakland Sports Center fitness room will remain open and major public works emergencies will still be responded to.
But the list of services that will be unavailable is lengthy, and includes services for children and seniors, libraries, parking enforcement and street sweeping, city restrooms, maintenance, animal control services, police records and permit inspections, among other things.
City negotiators are next scheduled to meet with IFPTE Local 21 representatives on July 5, and might meet with SEIU Local 1021 on Tuesday July 9th.
oakland, strike, east bay news
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia 42 min ago
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors 55 min ago
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Gut bacteria: The secret weapon to weight loss?
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- 2014 'Bowl for Kids' Sake' held in North Fresno