East Bay News
Family in talks with facilities to move Jahi McMath
OAKLAND, Calif. -- The family of an Oakland girl declared brain-dead by doctors tells us they have new options of where to move her, though moving her is not a sure thing.
Children's Hospital Oakland can take 13-year-old Jahi McMath off life support Monday. She was declared brain-dead after complications with a tonsillectomy.
The family tells us they've been working the phones all day trying to line up those alternative facilities.
Late Saturday afternoon, they also put out a statement that reads, in part, "Our attorney is in discussions with two facilities that have expressed preliminary approval for accepting Jahi on a ventilator. One is in Southern California, the other is in New York."
To read the entire statement, click here.
Jahi McMath was pronounced brain-dead by Children's Hospital doctors on Dec. 12 after complications from surgery to remove her tonsils.
The family has been arranging the 13-year-old's transfer to another facility to keep her on life support in their hopes that she recovers.
The family says a Bay Area facility they had lined up earlier this week no longer has room available.
According to a Children's Hospital spokesman, the hospital will help in the transfer, but the family has not passed on information on the alternative facilities.
"Unless there's another court order, the judge has said that at 5 p.m. on Monday, the body of Jahi Mcmath may be removed from the ventilator, which is the only thing that's keeping her heart beating now," said hospital spokesperson Sam Singer.
Now that court order and the costs related to transferring her to those other facilities are adding to the urgency for Jahi's family. They have launched a crowdfunding page to raise money. They're also planning fundraiser Sunday at 3 p.m. at the Church of All Faiths at 2100 5th Avenue in Oakland.
oakland, children, children's hospital oakland, east bay news
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos