East Bay News
Children's Hospital, Jahi McMath family ordered to meet Friday
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A new court order was issued Thursday in the battle over a brain-dead Oakland girl being kept on a ventilator. Representatives of Children's Hospital and the family of Jahi McMath are being ordered to meet Friday.
It was very quiet at the hospital Thursday. The family did not make any public statements. We do, however, expect to see them in court Friday afternoon along with hospital attorneys for a hearing in federal court on one of many motions filed on behalf of the 13-year-old.
It's a case that's attracted international attention, but Thursday morning there was a lone demonstrator in front Children's Hospital with a sign supporting the family of Jahi McMath.
In the meantime, the battle over her fate moves to federal court in Oakland, where Friday a judge will preside over a mandatory settlement conference between McMath's family and Children's Hospital.
"We do not know what the meaning of that is except that we will gladly participate and we hope that some good will come from this discussion," hospital spokesperson Sam Singer said.
McMath's family wants a tracheotomy and a feeding tube for Jahi; two procedures that the hospital refuses to perform on the 13-year-old who was declared brain-dead last month.
The family and their attorney say they can't move Jahi without those procedures.
On Monday an Alameda County judge extended a temporary restraining order preventing the hospital from removing Jahi from a ventilator until next Tuesday, January 7.
oakland, children, children's hospital oakland, east bay news, laura anthony
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Los Angeles police get loaner Lamborghini
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Consumer Reports: Skip extended car warranties
- Diamond 'Dogs swept by New Mexico
- Accuweather Forecast
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos