Inland Empire News
Vigil to be held for slain sheriff's detective, Jeremiah MacKay, in Yucaipa Tuesday
YUCAIPA, Calif. -- The city of Yucaipa and its police department are planning a candlelight vigil in honor of slain sheriff's detective Jeremiah MacKay.
The vigil will be held in front of city hall Tuesday at 6 p.m.
The 35-year-old was killed Feb. 12 in a shootout near Angelus Oaks with fugitive murder suspect Christopher Dorner. MacKay was initially airlifted to Loma Linda Hospital with multiple gunshot wounds but shortly succumbed to his injuries.
The fallen deputy worked for the sheriff's department for 15 years, earning more than a dozen awards. A second deputy, identified as Alexander Collins, was also wounded in the shootout. He survived but has undergone multiple surgeries.
Hundreds packed a Corona bar Friday for a fundraiser dedicated to MacKay and Riverside police officer Michael Crain, who was buried Feb. 13. Crain and his partner, Anthony Tachias, were also ambushed by former LAPD officer Dorner. Tachias was severely wounded in both arms but was expected to be OK.
MacKay leaves behind a wife, 7-year-old daughter and a 4-month-old son.
His funeral will be held at the San Manuel Amphitheater in San Bernardino Thursday at 11 a.m. The Los Angeles Police Emerald Society Pipes and Drums, with whom he'd often played, will be there to send him off.
A fund was set up for anyone wishing to make a donation to MacKay and Crain's family.
For online donations via credit cards or PayPal, visit the Inland Empire Emerald Society website at http://www.iees.ie/.
Checks can be mailed to:
Inland Empire Emerald Society
1040 South Vernon Ave Suite G-333
Colton, CA 92324
shooting, chris dorner, inland empire news
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
- Valley thieves target truck tailgates
- Valley thieves steal packages from front doors
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos