Inland Empire News
Vigil to be held for slain sheriff's detective, Jeremiah MacKay, in Yucaipa Tuesday
YUCAIPA, Calif. -- The city of Yucaipa and its police department are planning a candlelight vigil in honor of slain sheriff's detective Jeremiah MacKay.
The vigil will be held in front of city hall Tuesday at 6 p.m.
The 35-year-old was killed Feb. 12 in a shootout near Angelus Oaks with fugitive murder suspect Christopher Dorner. MacKay was initially airlifted to Loma Linda Hospital with multiple gunshot wounds but shortly succumbed to his injuries.
The fallen deputy worked for the sheriff's department for 15 years, earning more than a dozen awards. A second deputy, identified as Alexander Collins, was also wounded in the shootout. He survived but has undergone multiple surgeries.
Hundreds packed a Corona bar Friday for a fundraiser dedicated to MacKay and Riverside police officer Michael Crain, who was buried Feb. 13. Crain and his partner, Anthony Tachias, were also ambushed by former LAPD officer Dorner. Tachias was severely wounded in both arms but was expected to be OK.
MacKay leaves behind a wife, 7-year-old daughter and a 4-month-old son.
His funeral will be held at the San Manuel Amphitheater in San Bernardino Thursday at 11 a.m. The Los Angeles Police Emerald Society Pipes and Drums, with whom he'd often played, will be there to send him off.
A fund was set up for anyone wishing to make a donation to MacKay and Crain's family.
For online donations via credit cards or PayPal, visit the Inland Empire Emerald Society website at http://www.iees.ie/.
Checks can be mailed to:
Inland Empire Emerald Society
1040 South Vernon Ave Suite G-333
Colton, CA 92324
shooting, chris dorner, inland empire news
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting 33 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Accuweather Forecast
10 min ago
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related...
32 min ago