Inland Empire News
Girl Scouts selling cookies in Phelan get $500+ stolen; suspect caught after surveillance pics released
PHELAN, SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY -- San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputies released surveillance photos of a suspect responsible for stealing a bag containing around $500 from a Girl Scouts troop in Phelan. The suspect was arrested at 7:20 p.m. Monday, hours after the photos were released.
The theft occured around 6:50 p.m. at Stater Brothers grocery store at 4059 Phelan Rd. The group of Girl Scouts from Troop 1303 was packing up about 6:15 p.m. Sunday after having sold cookies outside the store all day and left money they collected in a bag on a table.
A teen boy on a skateboard came and grabbed the money bag and fled, they said. One of the girls chased after the suspect, but fell and injured herself with minor scrapes.
The suspect was described as a white juvenile wearing a blue beanie and blue-and-gray-striped shirt. He was located at a gas station near Phelan Rd. and Baldy Mesa and arrested without incident at about 7:20 p.m. Monday.
The suspect faces a misdemeanor charge of petty theft punishable by a fine of $1,000 and/ or up to six months in jail.
The Girl Scouts organization will reportedly reimburse the local troop's funds.
Anyone with information regarding the theft was urged to contact San Bernardino Sheriff's Detective Jeff Toll at (760) 868-1006.
san bernardino county, robbery, inland empire news
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno 58 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos