Inland Empire News
Murder suspect found hiding in tree over body in San Bernardino
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- A homeless man was arrested on suspicion of killing an unidentified homeless woman, whose body was found in a field in San Bernardino.
Police say the victim was found in a grassy area near Fairway Drive and E Street by a pedestrian around 6:20 a.m.
However, it's unknown exactly when the woman, identified only as white and possibly in her 40s, was killed. Detectives said she suffered blunt force trauma to her upper torso and that a dispute may have led to the crime.
Officers said they found the suspect, 47-year-old Jamie Putman, up in a tree, over the body. They got him to come down and took him to headquarters.
"That subject was transported to the San Bernardino Police Department for an interview," said police Lt. Paul Williams. "During the investigation and the interview of this subject, he has admitted to the crime in which the person was, in fact, killed at the scene."
Police said they are not searching for other suspects.
"We're very confident the person we have is responsible for this crime," Williams said.
body found, arrest, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- One person killed in Fresno County crash 19 min ago
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates