Inland Empire News
Murder suspect found hiding in tree over body in San Bernardino
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- A homeless man was arrested on suspicion of killing an unidentified homeless woman, whose body was found in a field in San Bernardino.
Police say the victim was found in a grassy area near Fairway Drive and E Street by a pedestrian around 6:20 a.m.
However, it's unknown exactly when the woman, identified only as white and possibly in her 40s, was killed. Detectives said she suffered blunt force trauma to her upper torso and that a dispute may have led to the crime.
Officers said they found the suspect, 47-year-old Jamie Putman, up in a tree, over the body. They got him to come down and took him to headquarters.
"That subject was transported to the San Bernardino Police Department for an interview," said police Lt. Paul Williams. "During the investigation and the interview of this subject, he has admitted to the crime in which the person was, in fact, killed at the scene."
Police said they are not searching for other suspects.
"We're very confident the person we have is responsible for this crime," Williams said.
body found, arrest, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos