Inland Empire News
Murder suspect found hiding in tree over body in San Bernardino
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- A homeless man was arrested on suspicion of killing an unidentified homeless woman, whose body was found in a field in San Bernardino.
Police say the victim was found in a grassy area near Fairway Drive and E Street by a pedestrian around 6:20 a.m.
However, it's unknown exactly when the woman, identified only as white and possibly in her 40s, was killed. Detectives said she suffered blunt force trauma to her upper torso and that a dispute may have led to the crime.
Officers said they found the suspect, 47-year-old Jamie Putman, up in a tree, over the body. They got him to come down and took him to headquarters.
"That subject was transported to the San Bernardino Police Department for an interview," said police Lt. Paul Williams. "During the investigation and the interview of this subject, he has admitted to the crime in which the person was, in fact, killed at the scene."
Police said they are not searching for other suspects.
"We're very confident the person we have is responsible for this crime," Williams said.
body found, arrest, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Police investigate deadly Tower District stabbing
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires
- Police: Released parole violator shot at officers
- New medical center breaks ground in Visalia 54 min ago
- Fresno City Council votes against planned bike lane 51 min ago
- Overseas lotto scams prey on elderly 43 min ago
- Bob Wills home threatened by development
- New bike trail underpass raises deadly crash questions 10 min ago
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash
- 5.7 earthquake strikes northeast of Chico
- BBQ101 at Caruthers High School
- Parlier homicide victim identified as Francisco Esquivel-Lucio
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos