Inland Empire News
Beagle finds alligator in Desert Hot Springs backyard
DESERT HOT SPRINGS, Calif. -- A 11-month-old beagle named Lincoln Razz sounded the alarm when an intruder wandered into a backyard in Desert Hot Springs on Monday.
His owner, Daisy Maldonado, says on occasion he's been known to alert them to a spider crawling about, but this time, the intruder was an alligator, which is not common in the desert.
Animal Control Officer James Huffman got called out. He says at first he thought he'd be removing somebody's lost pet iguana. Instead, he found the 3-foot-long juvenile American alligator stuck between two fences.
"I wasn't sure what to expect when I got there. When I got up close to it, it was sure darn an alligator," he said.
Huffman carefully removed the gator using a dog leash and transported it to the Riverside County Animal Shelter in Thousand Palms. The reptile is kept secluded and away from the other animals - just in case.
"He's not able to inflict life-threatening injuries or anything like that, but he could definitely injure your hand or a finger," Huffman said.
By the time the alligator is full grown, it could weigh more than 500 pounds. There's no word on how the gator got there.
No one has come forward to claim it, but it's unlikely anyone will come forward because pet alligators are illegal in California. The alligator will likely end up living out the next 30 to 50 years at a sanctuary in Kentucky.
animal news, riverside county, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Search continues for Tulare County OIS suspect
- Drop in Valley flu cases 22 min ago
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo 54 min ago
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- Accuweather Forecast
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos