Inland Empire News
Pimping conviction brings 14-year sentence for ex-school board member
RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- Former Moreno Valley Unified School District Board member Mike Rios was sentenced to 14 years in state prison Friday for running a pimping and pandering operation out of his house. The prosecution sought a much harsher sentence, but the judge disagreed.
Rios once had aspirations to run for a city council seat. He was convicted on February 8. Now that Rios has been sentenced, he's officially no longer a Moreno Valley School Board member.
"I think this reflects that this sort of behavior by public officials will not be tolerated in Riverside County," said deputy district attorney Michael Brusselback.
Brusselback had asked for a total of 26 years in prison for Rios. And while Rios himself was apparently hoping for just probation, the judge settled on 14 years and four months.
Rios's only supporters in court were his grandparents. They said they were surprised at the length of the judge's sentence.
But Brusselback says Rios has shown no remorse, still insisting that all along the charges against him were politically motivated.
"In this particular case, the conduct was so egregious because Mr. Rios held a position of power, trust and authority within our community, so that made his actions that much more egregious, and we felt the sentence should be slightly higher. However, we are completely satisfied with 14 years amd 4 months as the prison sentence," said Brusselback.
Even though this case is over, Rios is also facing two attempted murder charges for firing a gun at a couple people after a bar fight. He'll be back in court for that case in April.
education, arrest, murder, riverside county, sex crimes, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- Search continues for Tulare County OIS suspect
- Drop in Valley flu cases
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos