Inland Empire News
Menifee post office burglarized, residents on alert
FONTANA, Calif. -- An after-hours burglary at the Sun City post office has some residents there worried.
Over the weekend, authorities say someone broke into more than 30 postal boxes and swiped the mail inside.
Postal inspector Tracy Putnam is investigating the break-ins. Putnam says the suspect was likely after personal information, checks, or small parcels.
The owners of those P.O. boxes have been notified and asked to be on alert for suspicious activity involving their financial accounts.
"We're hoping that the people that the boxes got broken into can pass some information on to us," Putnam said.
Customers who heard about the burglary say they were surprised.
"You would think the post office box would be a safe place," said Judy Wiggins of Menifee.
The mail boxes are located in the lobby, which remains open to the public even when the post office is closed. But that could change. The post office is evaluating whether it needs to limit the lobby's hours.
"Some places where we have a higher crime rate or we have some previous histories, we close the facility down, it is not open 24-7," said Putnam.
Tampering with the mail is a federal offense; if the suspect or suspects are caught they could be facing a 5-year prison term along with a $5,000 fine.
burglary, riverside county, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress 48 min ago
- Avatars helping athletes 38 min ago
- Costly headphone disappoints 34 min ago
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times 52 min ago
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire 57 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Consumer Watch: Costly headphone disappoints
36 min ago