Los Angeles News
MTA bus hits 2 pedestrians in West Hollywood; 1 killed
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. -- A pedestrian was killed and another was hospitalized in critical condition after being hit by an MTA bus in West Hollywood late Monday night.
The incident happened around 11:40 p.m. at a crosswalk on the corner of Santa Monica Boulevard and Palm Avenue. The bus was heading eastbound and the two men had just crossed the center median when they were hit.
Both victims were rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where one later died.
Officials say the bus was not in service at the time of the accident, it was being moved from a bus yard to a West Hollywood facility. The bus was being driven by a maintenance worker, who MTA officials say was qualified to drive a bus.
Officials do not believe the driver was speeding. Authorities are downloading footage from the video camera on the bus, which will be used in the investigation.
Local residents say that section of Santa Monica Boulevard is always congested, and this crosswalk is not controlled by a traffic light and can be dangerous.
"A lot of people just aren't paying attention," said West Hollywood resident John Davis. "Even with a crosswalk like this that's heavily marked."
The MTA and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department are investigating. As part of the routine procedure, there will be a drug test and the driver will be placed on administrative leave until the investigation is finished.
accident, los angeles news
- Large explosion, building collapse reported in Harlem 4 min ago
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pre-exercise routine
49 min ago