Los Angeles News
MTA bus hits 2 pedestrians in West Hollywood; 1 killed
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. -- A pedestrian was killed and another was hospitalized in critical condition after being hit by an MTA bus in West Hollywood late Monday night.
The incident happened around 11:40 p.m. at a crosswalk on the corner of Santa Monica Boulevard and Palm Avenue. The bus was heading eastbound and the two men had just crossed the center median when they were hit.
Both victims were rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where one later died.
Officials say the bus was not in service at the time of the accident, it was being moved from a bus yard to a West Hollywood facility. The bus was being driven by a maintenance worker, who MTA officials say was qualified to drive a bus.
Officials do not believe the driver was speeding. Authorities are downloading footage from the video camera on the bus, which will be used in the investigation.
Local residents say that section of Santa Monica Boulevard is always congested, and this crosswalk is not controlled by a traffic light and can be dangerous.
"A lot of people just aren't paying attention," said West Hollywood resident John Davis. "Even with a crosswalk like this that's heavily marked."
The MTA and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department are investigating. As part of the routine procedure, there will be a drug test and the driver will be placed on administrative leave until the investigation is finished.
accident, los angeles news
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Police investigate deadly Tower District stabbing
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody 10 min ago
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires
- Police: Released parole violator shot at officers
- New medical center breaks ground in Visalia
- Fresno City Council votes against planned bike lane
- Overseas lotto scams prey on elderly
- Bob Wills home threatened by development
- New bike trail underpass raises deadly crash questions
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash
- 5.7 earthquake strikes northeast of Chico
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos