Los Angeles News
Woman beaten to death with pipe by daughter's ex-boyfriend in Sylmar
SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES -- A 61-year-old woman was beaten to death and her daughter was seriously injured Tuesday by the younger woman's ex-boyfriend, who was armed with a pipe, police say.
According to Los Angeles Police Department investigators, Rosa Figueroa and her daughter, whose name was withheld, had been targeted by the suspect, 25-year-old Juan Carlos Cardenas, for some time. Figueroa had a restraining order against him.
Around 4 p.m., investigators said the women were trying to persuade Cardenas to drive to a hospital to get help for a drug addiction problem. Cardenas drove the women to the 13300 block of Borden Avenue in Sylmar. A witness said they saw the women get out of the SUV, Cardenas chase them down and assault them.
"He got out of the SUV with a pipe and went after the older woman," LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon said. "Our witness actually saw him strike her multiple times in the head and she died here at the scene."
Cardena's ex-girlfriend survived the attack thanks in part to a 40-year-old good Samaritan who happened to be in the area at the time. She sustained fractures to her face, but was expected to survive.
"This man, through a methamphetamine addiction apparently, has been terrorizing both these families, his ex-girlfriend's family that he shares a 2-month-old child with, as well as his own family," Vernon said. "When his own family arrived here they talked about the fact that he had been arrested a month or so ago, spent 12 days in jail for choking his own mother."
Investigators said they recovered the pipe used in the attack.
Cardenas was booked on suspicion of murder and attempted murder.
City News Service contributed to this report.
murder, homicide investigation, los angeles news, jovana lara
- Harlem explosion, collapse leaves 2 dead, 22 hurt 6 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting 59 min ago
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network