Los Angeles News
Woman beaten to death with pipe by daughter's ex-boyfriend in Sylmar
SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES -- A 61-year-old woman was beaten to death and her daughter was seriously injured Tuesday by the younger woman's ex-boyfriend, who was armed with a pipe, police say.
According to Los Angeles Police Department investigators, Rosa Figueroa and her daughter, whose name was withheld, had been targeted by the suspect, 25-year-old Juan Carlos Cardenas, for some time. Figueroa had a restraining order against him.
Around 4 p.m., investigators said the women were trying to persuade Cardenas to drive to a hospital to get help for a drug addiction problem. Cardenas drove the women to the 13300 block of Borden Avenue in Sylmar. A witness said they saw the women get out of the SUV, Cardenas chase them down and assault them.
"He got out of the SUV with a pipe and went after the older woman," LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon said. "Our witness actually saw him strike her multiple times in the head and she died here at the scene."
Cardena's ex-girlfriend survived the attack thanks in part to a 40-year-old good Samaritan who happened to be in the area at the time. She sustained fractures to her face, but was expected to survive.
"This man, through a methamphetamine addiction apparently, has been terrorizing both these families, his ex-girlfriend's family that he shares a 2-month-old child with, as well as his own family," Vernon said. "When his own family arrived here they talked about the fact that he had been arrested a month or so ago, spent 12 days in jail for choking his own mother."
Investigators said they recovered the pipe used in the attack.
Cardenas was booked on suspicion of murder and attempted murder.
City News Service contributed to this report.
murder, homicide investigation, los angeles news, jovana lara
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos