Los Angeles News
Owner of cat rescued from Glendale fire sought
GLENDALE, Calif. -- A lucky cat came back from the brink of death after being pulled from a burning apartment in Glendale. Firefighters were able to revive her, but now the big question is, where is her owner?
The blaze was contained to one unit at the Fort Dearborn House apartment complex in the 400 block of West Doran Street. Though no humans were hurt, one firefighter made a sad discovery.
"Our firefighter found a lifeless cat in the kitchen," said Capt. Daniel Schaefer of the Glendale Fire Department. "It was essentially dead."
Firefighters credit her rescue with a small piece of equipment they carry in their gear that's specially designed for animals. It's called an animal oxygen mask, and firefighters knew exactly what to do when they saw the motionless cat.
"He brought it out, put it on the gurney, administered our animal oxygen mask, we administered oxygen by nose and mouth and the cat regained consciousness," Schaefer said.
The cat had to spend time in an oxygen chamber at a local pet hospital to help clear out the smoke from her system, but is doing well now.
"This cat is doing wonderfully, especially after a fire," said Steven Richard McNall of the Pasadena Humane Society, where the cat is staying.
Now the Humane Society is waiting for the rightful owner, likely the renter of the burned out apartment, to pick up the black cat that is believed to be 12 years old.
animal news, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting 50 min ago
- Drop in Valley flu cases
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos