Los Angeles News
Long Beach police shoot, kill armed car theft suspect
LONG BEACH, Calif. -- Long Beach police say officers shot and killed a car theft suspect when he shot at them following a pursuit.
The shooting happened around 1 a.m. Thursday after the suspect crashed near a home in the 6400 block of Keynote Street, ending the pursuit.
According to Long Beach police, it all started when California Highway Patrol officers started following a white BMW, which was stolen during an earlier residential burglary in Redondo Beach.
CHP officers lost sight of the car, but Long Beach police spotted it and started chasing the vehicle soon after.
Police say after the driver crashed, he got out and fired a gun at officers. They returned fire, killing the man.
The area surrounding Keynote Street was closed off for police investigation.
officer-involved shooting, long beach, burglary, pursuit, car chase, car crash, los angeles news
- Huge tornado hits Oklahoma City suburb, kills 51
- Impact of Oklahoma tornado devastation felt in Valley
- Teacher convicted of sex with student sentenced
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley
- Tower District crimes attacked head-on
- Valley Works: Educational partnership providing opportunities
- FPU hopes Wilson is answer for women's hoops
- Experts say warm spring means more bugs
- Valley gets cutting-edge way to treat skin blemishes
- Search for new Fresno State president wrapping up
- Fowler High School holds college signing day
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Cement truck overturns on HWY 99 to HWY 180 interchange
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos