Los Angeles News
Long Beach police shoot, kill armed car theft suspect
LONG BEACH, Calif. -- Long Beach police say officers shot and killed a car theft suspect when he shot at them following a pursuit.
The shooting happened around 1 a.m. Thursday after the suspect crashed near a home in the 6400 block of Keynote Street, ending the pursuit.
According to Long Beach police, it all started when California Highway Patrol officers started following a white BMW, which was stolen during an earlier residential burglary in Redondo Beach.
CHP officers lost sight of the car, but Long Beach police spotted it and started chasing the vehicle soon after.
Police say after the driver crashed, he got out and fired a gun at officers. They returned fire, killing the man.
The area surrounding Keynote Street was closed off for police investigation.
officer-involved shooting, long beach, burglary, pursuit, car chase, car crash, los angeles news
- Deputy-involved shooting in Tulare County
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident