Los Angeles News
Panhandler attack: Man dies of burns in Long Beach
LONG BEACH, Calif. -- A man who was lit on fire by a panhandler outside a convenience store in Long Beach last week has died.
The 63-year-old man, identified as Jerry Payne of Long Beach, died at about 2 a.m. Monday, according to the coroner's office.
Payne was entering a 7-Eleven store on the 5100 block of Pacific Coast Highway on Friday at about 5:15 p.m. when he was approached by a transient asking for money. He said no.
As Payne came out of the store and entered his vehicle, the transient reportedly doused the victim and the inside of his vehicle with a flammable substance and lit it on fire.
A 38-year-old homeless man, Raymond Sean Clark, was arrested shortly after the crime. Police say the two men did not know each other. Clark will be re-booked for murder.
City News Service contributed to this report.
arrest, arson, long beach, los angeles news
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County 5 min ago
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian 21 min ago
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls