Los Angeles News
Panhandler attack: Man dies of burns in Long Beach
LONG BEACH, Calif. -- A man who was lit on fire by a panhandler outside a convenience store in Long Beach last week has died.
The 63-year-old man, identified as Jerry Payne of Long Beach, died at about 2 a.m. Monday, according to the coroner's office.
Payne was entering a 7-Eleven store on the 5100 block of Pacific Coast Highway on Friday at about 5:15 p.m. when he was approached by a transient asking for money. He said no.
As Payne came out of the store and entered his vehicle, the transient reportedly doused the victim and the inside of his vehicle with a flammable substance and lit it on fire.
A 38-year-old homeless man, Raymond Sean Clark, was arrested shortly after the crime. Police say the two men did not know each other. Clark will be re-booked for murder.
City News Service contributed to this report.
arrest, arson, long beach, los angeles news
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos