Los Angeles News
Panhandler attack: Man dies of burns in Long Beach
LONG BEACH, Calif. -- A man who was lit on fire by a panhandler outside a convenience store in Long Beach last week has died.
The 63-year-old man, identified as Jerry Payne of Long Beach, died at about 2 a.m. Monday, according to the coroner's office.
Payne was entering a 7-Eleven store on the 5100 block of Pacific Coast Highway on Friday at about 5:15 p.m. when he was approached by a transient asking for money. He said no.
As Payne came out of the store and entered his vehicle, the transient reportedly doused the victim and the inside of his vehicle with a flammable substance and lit it on fire.
A 38-year-old homeless man, Raymond Sean Clark, was arrested shortly after the crime. Police say the two men did not know each other. Clark will be re-booked for murder.
City News Service contributed to this report.
arrest, arson, long beach, los angeles news
- Sheriff: Suspect in Colorado school shooting dead 12 min ago
- Kansas airport worker arrested in car bomb plot 9 min ago
- Ryan Rodriquez kidnapping suspect descriptions released
- Fresno City Council holds public hearing on Westlake development
- Vigil held for victims of gang violence in Porterville
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- abcnews: Paul Ryan Says Presidential Ambitions Not...
- LA psychic, husband charged with curse scam
- California prostitutes win victim compensation
- Chaos, gunbattles, hungry kids in Central African Republic
- Lawmakers frustrated, optimistic about farm bill
- FUSD fears losing millions for low-income students
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- Gang member arrested after ABC30 story comment