Los Angeles News
Model murder trial: Jury selection begins
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES -- Jury selection begins Monday for the trial of a woman accused in a murder-for-hire plot against a Los Angeles-based model.
Prosecutors say Kelly Soo Park strangled and beat model Juliana Redding to death inside her Santa Monica apartment in 2008.
Park was allegedly a debt collector and enforcer of sorts for Dr. Munir Uwaydah in Marina Del Rey. He allegedly hired Park to kill Redding after Redding's father pulled out of a business deal with him.
Prosecutors say Uwaydah referred to park as a "female James Bond." According to court documents, Park used threats, intimidation, and bullying. Uwaydah has never been charged in the case.
Redding, 21, moved from Arizona to Hollywood with dreams of stardom. She landed a spread in Maxim magazine, and a small role in an independent movie.
Investigators say DNA evidence linked Park to the crime, and prosecutors allege Park received a $250,000 payment from Uwaydah weeks before Redding was killed.
Defense lawyers say John Gilmore, Redding's boyfriend, is the real killer, though investigators cleared him as a suspect.
ABC News contributed to this report.
murder, legal, santa monica, los angeles news
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos