Los Angeles News
Multiple explosives found in Palms apartment
PALMS, LOS ANGELES -- A routine traffic stop led to the discovery of more than a dozen explosives in an apartment in Palms Wednesday morning. Four apartment buildings and two businesses have been evacuated, as a bomb squad searched for more explosives.
A handful of small explosions could be heard, as members of the LAPD bomb squad detonated some of the explosives that were found.
Authorities say when officers pulled over a Honda Civic on Venice Boulevard near Midway Avenue because of expired registration around midnight, the driver admitted he had narcotics and a loaded gun in the car. Officers searched the vehicle and also located what appeared to be a pipe bomb.
A bomb squad responded to the scene, while officers went door to door evacuating the area. The suspicious object was detonated at about 3 a.m. and determined not to be an explosive device.
Seventeen more explosives were found during a search of the suspect's apartment on the 3800 block of Overland Avenue in Palms, right on the edge of Culver City. Authorities evacuated residents and businesses in the area, as the search continued at the apartment.
The suspect, identified as Robert Wilson, was taken into custody. So far, investigators do not believe the incident is terrorism related.
"This appears to be just a 'lone wolf' type of individual. There's no connection with terrorism," said LAPD Sgt. Frank Preciado. "This is an individual who appeared to be intrigued with explosive devices."
But after the bombings at the Boston Marathon last month, many area residents were on edge."It's nerve-wracking to know that there are people like that around me, my neighborhood, around people I know," said Brenda Uribe of Palms.
Streets in the area were shut down for hours due to the investigation.
Wilson, 29, has previously been arrested for carrying a concealed weapon. He is being held on $500,000 bail. Anyone with information about the incident is urged to call the LAPD Pacific Station at (310) 482-6334.
explosion, los angeles news, robert holguin
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Red Wave Gets To See Carr One Last Time
- Tips to keep cars running during cold weather 16 min ago
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- North Korea deports elderly Bay Area man
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Experts provide tips to keep cars running...
47 min ago