Los Angeles News
138 drivers arrested for DUI in LA County on Fourth of July
LOS ANGELES -- On Fourth of July, Los Angeles County deputies arrested 138 people on suspicion of driving under the influence.
That number is up from last year, when 119 people were arrested.
Law enforcement officers will be out in force throughout the remainder of the Fourth of July weekend, looking for drivers who may be under the influence or violating other traffic laws.
The Los Angeles Police Department will be conducting saturation patrols in the Newton area Saturday from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the Southeast area of South Los Angeles.
The California Highway Patrol's "maximum enforcement period" began at 6 p.m. Wednesday and will continue through 11:59 p.m. Sunday. Officers will look for motorists who are driving drunk, but will also focus on reducing problems caused by aggressive driving, an official said.
Also helping to patrol for drunken drivers throughout Los Angeles County is the "Avoid the 100 DUI Task Force," which is made up of representatives from several local police departments.
City News Service contributed to this report.
arrest, dui, los angeles news
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Wonder Woman cast for Batman and Superman film
- Autopsy: Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- A wish is coming true for a South Valley girl