Los Angeles News
138 drivers arrested for DUI in LA County on Fourth of July
LOS ANGELES -- On Fourth of July, Los Angeles County deputies arrested 138 people on suspicion of driving under the influence.
That number is up from last year, when 119 people were arrested.
Law enforcement officers will be out in force throughout the remainder of the Fourth of July weekend, looking for drivers who may be under the influence or violating other traffic laws.
The Los Angeles Police Department will be conducting saturation patrols in the Newton area Saturday from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the Southeast area of South Los Angeles.
The California Highway Patrol's "maximum enforcement period" began at 6 p.m. Wednesday and will continue through 11:59 p.m. Sunday. Officers will look for motorists who are driving drunk, but will also focus on reducing problems caused by aggressive driving, an official said.
Also helping to patrol for drunken drivers throughout Los Angeles County is the "Avoid the 100 DUI Task Force," which is made up of representatives from several local police departments.
City News Service contributed to this report.
arrest, dui, los angeles news
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident 51 min ago
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February 59 min ago
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor