Los Angeles News
San Francisco plane crash: Exchange students were on flight, headed to local church
WEST HILLS, LOS ANGELES -- When Asiana Flight 214 crashed at SFO on arrival Saturday, news of the deadly accident and video of the fuselage on fire were broadcast around the world.
In Southern California, those images were devastating for West Valley Christian Church and School.
"We started to pray as a church and as a school," said Derek Swales, West Valley Christian School administrator.
Thirty-five middle school and high school students from China, who were on board the plane, are scheduled to attend a study abroad program at the school Monday. The group had arranged to stay with host families in the western San Fernando Valley. The school is trying to find out if any of the students were among those killed or critically injured.
"We do not know the final counts, we do not know the numbers, we're waiting to hear so that we can comfort our families that are praying for them," said Swales.
Swales said West Valley Christian opens its doors to international students for three week programs in the summer. They study language arts and culture in the morning and go sightseeing in the afternoon.
If the Chinese students don't cancel their trip to Southern California, West Valley Christian is thinking about how to help them when they arrive.
"These kids have lost luggage, and so we're trying to put together a program where we can find gift cards, we can find sympathy cards from local churches, from families that would like to reach out to these kids," said Swales.
The two fatalities in the crash were confirmed to be Chinese nationals, though their ages and genders are unknown.
plane crash, northern california, airport news, airplane, los angeles international airport, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Large warehouse fire reported southeast of Fresno 5 min ago
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit 50 min ago
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts