Los Angeles News
Man charged with murder in 210 Freeway death
SAN FERNANDO, Calif. -- A North Hollywood man was charged Tuesday with murder in the death of a woman who fell out of a moving car on the 210 Freeway last week. A special allegation that a knife was used was included in the complaint.
North Hollywood resident Ricardo Jimenez, 26, was scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday afternoon.
Maria Josefina Jimenez, 22, was struck on the 210 Freeway near Hubbard Street early Thursday, August 29.
According to a witness, the woman was a passenger in a red car that was swerving. The witness said the passenger door of the car opened and the woman came out of the car and onto the lanes of the freeway.
The witness pulled over and tried to slow down traffic and render help, but the woman was struck several times by cars along the freeway and was killed.
Investigators say Ricardo Jimenez was driving Maria Jimenez's red Toyota Corolla when the two left a tattoo parlor before midnight.
The victim and the defendant were in a dating relationship, according to the L.A. County District Attorney's Office. The two have the same last name, but they are not related.
Prosecutors recommended that bail be set at more than $1 million. If convicted as charged, Jimenez faces a maximum sentence of 26 years to life in state prison.
The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department. Anyone with information about this case was asked to call Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222- TIPS.
san fernando valley, homicide investigation, murder, los angeles news
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting 57 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Chowchilla
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office 28 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building