Los Angeles News
Search continues around Castaic Lake for missing 19-year-old
CASTAIC LAKE, LOS ANGELES COUNTY -- Divers headed out to Castaic Lake Tuesday to search for a 19-year-old who has been missing for days. The family of Bryce Laspisa hasn't heard from him since Friday morning.
Laspisa was driving from Northern California back home to Orange County. He called his family in Laguna Niguel around 2 a.m. Friday. About three hours later, his wrecked SUV was found near Castaic Lake, but there was no sign of Laspisa.
On Tuesday, search teams with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department were back at Castaic Lake. They focused on an area about 100 yards from where Laspisa's overturned SUV was found.
"It's been extensive since Friday, and throughout the Labor Day weekend," said Nicole Nashida, a spokeswoman with the L.A. County Sheriff's Department.
Nashida says the search teams spent more than six hours looking for Laspisa.
"We've had our mounted enforcement detail on horseback searching the mountains and the terrain up here. We've also had the lake lifeguards and our scuba divers out here," said Nashida.
Search dogs were interested in one particular area near the boat ramp at Castaic Lake. The K-9 units didn't necessarily get a positive hit on Laspisa. They just seemed curious about a certain spot, so dive teams went back in the water. But after several hours of searching, investigators came up empty handed.
It is possible that Laspisa walked away from the wreckage, but investigators say they simply don't know what happened to the 19-year-old student. Nashida said authorities have checked surrounding motels and businesses but there has been no sign of Laspisa.
Anyone with information was asked to call detectives at (323) 890-5500.
missing person, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos