Los Angeles News
Search continues around Castaic Lake for missing 19-year-old
CASTAIC LAKE, LOS ANGELES COUNTY -- Divers headed out to Castaic Lake Tuesday to search for a 19-year-old who has been missing for days. The family of Bryce Laspisa hasn't heard from him since Friday morning.
Laspisa was driving from Northern California back home to Orange County. He called his family in Laguna Niguel around 2 a.m. Friday. About three hours later, his wrecked SUV was found near Castaic Lake, but there was no sign of Laspisa.
On Tuesday, search teams with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department were back at Castaic Lake. They focused on an area about 100 yards from where Laspisa's overturned SUV was found.
"It's been extensive since Friday, and throughout the Labor Day weekend," said Nicole Nashida, a spokeswoman with the L.A. County Sheriff's Department.
Nashida says the search teams spent more than six hours looking for Laspisa.
"We've had our mounted enforcement detail on horseback searching the mountains and the terrain up here. We've also had the lake lifeguards and our scuba divers out here," said Nashida.
Search dogs were interested in one particular area near the boat ramp at Castaic Lake. The K-9 units didn't necessarily get a positive hit on Laspisa. They just seemed curious about a certain spot, so dive teams went back in the water. But after several hours of searching, investigators came up empty handed.
It is possible that Laspisa walked away from the wreckage, but investigators say they simply don't know what happened to the 19-year-old student. Nashida said authorities have checked surrounding motels and businesses but there has been no sign of Laspisa.
Anyone with information was asked to call detectives at (323) 890-5500.
missing person, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Officer-involved shooting in Northeast Fresno 49 min ago
- Man shot in upper torso in Parlier; 1 person detained 28 min ago
- Large fire guts warehouse southeast of Fresno
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 21 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes