Los Angeles News
Body found near Castaic Lake after small fire knocked down
CASTAIC, Calif. -- Firefighters found a body in Castaic after putting out a small fire Wednesday. It's the same area where authorities have been looking for a missing college student.
The Los Angeles County Fire Department responded to a spot fire off of Lake Hughes Road near Castaic Lake at about 6:15 a.m. When crews put out the flames, the body was discovered.
Police say a cyclist that was riding by saw the blaze and called deputies.
Detectives say the body is burned beyond recognition, and at this point, they don't know if it's a man or a woman.
The area is a remote section of Lake Hughes Road about a mile north of the visitor center, and officials are hoping there might be video that could help them.
Investigators are also looking to see if it could be 19-year-old Bryce Laspisa, who has been missing for several days. Laspisa was driving from Northern California back home to Orange County. He called his family around 2 a.m. on Friday, and about three hours later, his wrecked SUV was found near Castaic Lake. There was no sign of the young man.
body found, los angeles news
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for jet with 239 aboard 23 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals