Los Angeles News
Palos Verdes Estates-Carson chase suspect tried to hit officers w/ car
CARSON, Calif. -- Police officers opened fire on a chase suspect in Carson when she tried to strike authorities with her car on Thursday.
According to Torrance police, the pursuit began at around 1:35 a.m. when Palos Verdes police noticed the suspect driving recklessly, sparking a public safety concern.
The driver, described as a female in her 40s, didn't yield to officers. Instead, she led them on a chase into the city of Torrance, where Torrance police followed suit.
The suspect headed eastbound on Torrance Boulevard and came to a dead end. Investigators say she then put her car in reverse and tried to run over police officers and their patrol cars. That's when officers opened fire.
Police say the woman was not struck by gunfire. But instead of getting out of her car when the shooting stopped, she hit the gas pedal.
The suspect then rammed through several chain-linked fences and crashed into the Dominguez Channel.
Some area residents said they were startled out of their sleep.
"Sounded like about five gunshots, pretty rapid fire. I got up and looked out the window. Couple minutes later, sirens all over the place," described Clyde McDougal, a Carson resident.
The suspect was transported to an area hospital to be treated for injuries she suffered from the crash. She faces assault and felony evading charges. Investigators are still trying to figure out why she was evading police in the first place.
car chase, car crash, pursuit, officer-involved shooting, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well 23 min ago
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings