New York News
Pride parade marks same-sex marriage anniversary
NEW YORK -- Marchers following the lavender line painted on Fifth Avenue Sunday for New York's annual gay pride march marked the first anniversary of the state's same-sex marriage law.
Throngs of spectators crowded along the sidewalks on Fifth Avenue, waving rainbow-colored flags as participants including Cyndi Lauper as grand marshal, went by. The parade was held one year to the day of same-sex marriage being legalized in New York state.
Among those participating were Mayor Michael Bloomberg and City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who was accompanied by her wife. They were married last month.
Bloomberg had a message to the rest of America: "The government should get out of your personal life."
"New York is a place where you can do whatever you want to do," he said, before stepping off onto the parade route.
Each year since 1970, the parade has had a different theme. This time, it's called "Share the Love." Organizers say they want other states to pass legislation that allows same-sex marriage in six states and the District of Columbia.
This year marked another first for the movement, with a float carrying active members of the U.S. military who can now openly declare their sexuality while being allowed to still serve.
"It's great to be proud of who we are," said Air Force 1st Lt. Josh Seefried, co-director of OutServe, a network of actively-serving LGBT military personnel.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, parade, gay marriage, new york news
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident 38 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations