New York News
Woman, 2 men wanted in string of robberies
NEW YORK -- In a series of frightening home invasions a woman knocks on a door with a fake emergency.
Once the unassuming victim opens the door, two men rush inside and rip them off.
It's happening in the Inwood section of Manhattan.
Police say they've gotten away with this con three times in eight months, but there could be more victims out there.
So now police are relying on vivid video of one of the crimes and help from the public.
This trio of thieves is wanted for a trio of home invasions in Inwood.
Luckily, the most recent case was caught on camera.
You can watch as a woman knocks on the door telling the tenant there's a water leak in the building.
As soon as she opens the door, two men wrap around the corner and barge in.
Two of the suspects are later seen walking off hand in hand down the street.
In Spanish, the victim told Eyewitness News the men put a gun to her face and threatened to kill her and her young son.
That's why Eyewitness News promised to hide her face.
She says they ransacked the Academy Street apartment, getting away with jewelry, cash, pretty much anything of value they could get their hands on.
But police say this was not their first push in robbery.
They struck back in September on West 189th Street, also claiming there was a water leak in that building.
And last month, police say the same group did the same con again on Academy Street, that time claiming to have the victim's mail.
This most recent victim says she was afraid the men would murder her and rape her.
It's a nightmare that keeps her and her son awake at night.
And that won't end until the suspects are behind bars.
They say the female suspect is in her early 20's, 5'5" to 5'8" and 130-150 pounds.
Both men are in their 20's and about 5'6" tall.
If you have information that can help call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS.
new york city, robbery, inwood, new york news, carolina leid
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn 28 min ago
- Perez and Barrera found guilty of 1st degree murder
- California farmers to get more water 1 min ago
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Photos: Easter traditions explained