Orange County News
Ladera Ranch boy escapes knife-wielding man
LADERA RANCH, Calif. -- Orange County authorities are searching for an armed man who tried to assault a boy near an elementary school in Ladera Ranch.
The suspect, armed with a knife, approached the child on the 29500 block of Sienna Parkway at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday, according to Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino.
The boy was on the swings with another 12-year-old boy when the man approached from behind. One boy ran off while the suspect dragged the other boy about 15 feet away.
The man allegedly told the boy to remove his pants, and then ordered him to remove his boxer shorts. Amormino said at that point, the boy threw some wood chips from the ground into the man's face and fled.
"He did go into the middle of the street, wave down a passing motorist for help," Amormino said.
Amormino said the motorist called 911, but by the time deputies arrived, the suspect was gone.
The suspect was described as a Hispanic man and in his 20s. He was wearing a blue hoodie, blue jeans and sandal, with a bandanna over his face.
Just last week in Whittier, a man attempted to kidnap a boy who was also swinging on a swing set around the same time in the evening. That boy also managed to get away. The suspect was described as having a scar on his right cheek. Deputies are looking into whether the two incidents are related.
Anyone with more information is urged to call the Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS.
City News Service contributed to this report.
sexual assault, orange county news
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Fire Safety