Orange County News
6th-grade students hospitalized after eating pot brownie
COSTA MESA, Calif. -- Seven elementary school students were hospitalized Tuesday after eating brownies laced with cannabis. It was not immediately clear who gave the kids the tainted brownies at Pomona Elementary School.
Six boys and one girl shared the brownie at lunchtime, according to authorities. The 6th-grade students are 11 and 12 years old.
Paramedics were called when the first child started feeling dizzy, nauseous and had difficulty breathing. The others suffered the same symptoms. They were taken to Hoag Hospital and were expected to be OK.
One of the kids told authorities that he shared the brownie with the others, telling them it was laced with pot.
"When one kid took a strange bite and said 'You know, this doesn't quite taste like a regular brownie,' and he said 'Oh by the way, this is laced with marijuana.' So he was pretty forthcoming and told them what it was," said Fred Seguin, acting chief of the Costa Mesa Fire Department.
It was not immediately clear where the student got the brownie.
Police did take a backpack and the remainder of the brownie as part of the investigation.
School district officials said they will decide if any students should face disciplinary action. Officials say that will depend on whether the children knew what they were eating.
marijuana, school, orange county news, eileen frere
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno 41 min ago
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender 24 min ago
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- California farmers to get more water
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- Photos: Pictures show killer spared at the gallows
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Photos: Easter traditions explained
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
44 min ago
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex...
27 min ago