Orange County News
Woman murdered in Anaheim apartment garage; suspects sought
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- An investigation is under way in Anaheim after a 23-year-old woman was found murdered inside an apartment garage in the 500 block of East South Street.
The victim, identified as Nancy Corona, 23, of Anaheim, was pronounced dead at the scene from an apparent gunshot wound.
"The apartments are above the parking stall so you actually have to drive in underneath the apartments to park," said Anaheim Police Sgt. Bob Dunn. "The female, who we believe is an adult, was found next to a vehicle in that parking area underneath the apartments."
It's not clear if the woman lived in the apartments or had a vehicle in that garage but nearby neighbors say the only way to get into the garage is if you're a resident.
"We walk by every weekend and that's always locked up," neighbor Tammy Matthews said. "The gates always closed, it's never open so somebody went in with her."
A resident of the South Parks Apartment complex found Corona around 7 a.m. Saturday.
Nick Pond lives across the street and says he came home around 3:30 a.m. and didn't hear or notice anything unusual.
"I came to move my car closer to my house and saw this police line and was a little frightened," Pond said. "And then I heard what happened and, you know, that's very troubling to me."
Some neighbors too frightened to talk on camera said they saw two men running from near the scene about an hour before the body was discovered.
Other residents also said they heard gunshots overnight. But police say those sounds, unfortunately, are very common in this area.
"We are kind of on the fringe here of a gang neighborhood that is right behind us so, unfortunately, the shot fired calls are very frequent in this particular area," Sgt. Dunn said.
Anyone with any information regarding the murder was asked to call Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS or (855) 847-6227.
murder, orange county news, darsha philips
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase