Orange County News
Huntington Beach police shot, kill suspect with fake gun
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. -- A suspect carrying a replica semi-automatic gun was shot and killed by Huntington Beach police Thursday.
Huntington Beach police confirmed that an officer-involved shooting occurred around 4:30 p.m. at Warner Avenue and Hoskins Lane.
"The handgun was later determined to be a replica. The officer fired, killing the suspect," said Huntington Beach Police Lt. Mitchell O'Brien.
Witnesses say the incident began behind a restaurant where a man and a woman believed to be the man's girlfriend were arguing.
A police helicopter soon flew overhead after authorities were called in, as the man and woman headed toward a residential neighborhood.
Police wouldn't say if the man was pointing the fake weapon at officers.
"I think they should have done a little bit more investigation to see if it was a real gun because that's a pretty big mistake," said witness Derek Zeek.
Officers have not yet released the suspect's name.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department will now launch its own investigation into this shooting.
officer-involved shooting, shooting, orange county news, elex michaelson
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts 9 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Free dental care to be offered in Fresno 18 min ago
- Who will be Mayor?
- Fresno shopping cart crackdown to cut crime?
9 min ago