Orange County News
Man sets self on fire in Costa Mesa nail salon
COSTA MESA, Calif. -- A man was hospitalized Sunday after setting himself on fire inside a Costa Mesa nail salon where his estranged wife reportedly works.
The incident happened just after 12 p.m. at Creative Nail & Spa, located in the 3000 block of Bristol Street. A 36-year-old Asian man walked inside, doused himself in flammable liquid and set himself on fire, police say.
Another man inside the salon put out the flames with a fire extinguisher. Costa Mesa police responded to the scene with paramedics. The man was taken to Western Medical Center with third-degree burns, according to police. He is listed in critical condition.
There has been no word on a motive, but police say the man's estranged wife works at the salon. She was present at the time of the incident.
One witness said she was having her nails done by the man's estranged wife, who is reportedly the salon manager, when the man entered and appeared distraught. He began yelling at his estranged wife in Vietnamese before setting himself aflame.
No one else inside the salon was injured, and the salon sustained minor property damage.
According to the witness, the estranged couple has three children together.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- Deputy-involved shooting in Tulare County
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy 5 min ago
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident