Orange County News
Rick Warren's son used unregistered gun in suicide
TUSTIN, Calif. -- Pastor Rick Warren said his son killed himself with an unregistered gun that he bought on the Internet.
The head of the popular Saddleback Church in Orange County took to his Twitter account on Thursday, saying he forgives whoever sold the weapon to his 27-year-old son Matthew, who committed suicide last Friday.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department said the weapon's serial number was scratched off, making it impossible to trace.
Rick Warren and his wife, Kay, said in an email on Saturday that their son struggled for much of his life with severe depression and suicidal thoughts.
Warren founded Saddleback Church in 1980, according to his biography on the church website, and over the years watched it grow to 20,000 members. He and his wife began by holding Bible studies for people who weren't regular churchgoers.
Matthew was the youngest of their three children.
The pastor has tweeted daily since his son's death, including posts about seeing his son's body at the coroner's office for the first time, combating the stigma of mental illness and the challenges of grieving when a public figure.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- Large explosion, building collapse reported in Harlem 3 min ago
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pre-exercise routine
54 min ago