Orange County News
Huntington Beach City Hall evacuated over bomb scare
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. -- Hundreds of city workers were evacuated from Huntington Beach City Hall on Monday morning due to a bomb scare.
Authorities say someone on the fifth floor of City Hall received a large envelope in the mail at about 8:30 a.m. That person opened it and saw what looked like "explosive-type material" inside.
The employee put the envelope in a stairwell and called 911. Between 300 to 400 workers were evacuated.
A hazmat team and a bomb squad responded to the scene. The device was rendered safe. City Hall resumed business at 1:30 p.m.
The device will be further analyzed to figure out what the substance was in the envelope. Authorities are also investigating who sent the package.
"We have no real problems that I'm aware of on the City Council. Nobody has made any threats or anything to us or the city as far as I know," said Huntington Beach City Councilman Jim Katapodis.
The fifth floor has offices for the fire department, economic development and community services. There were no reports of injuries or illnesses.
As a precaution, nearby Huntington Beach High School was placed on lockdown.
orange county news, eileen frere
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say 46 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident
- Accuweather Forecast
13 min ago
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs,...
49 min ago
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
28 min ago