Orange County News
Garden Grove pot shops sidestepping ban?
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. -- More than 30 vehicles pulled up to Best Holistic Care in Garden Grove late Wednesday morning only to learn the medical marijuana dispensary had shut its doors.
After the Supreme Court of California ruled cities can ban marijuana dispensaries, Garden Grove sent out letters last week to warn more than 60 businesses that they had to be closed by Wednesday or face a $1,000-per-day fine and possible criminal charges.
"It's not worth it because they come in and it's more fines and more fines," said Ian Crawford, manager of Best Holistic Care.
One would-be customer, who only wanted to be identified as "William," said he has used marijuana for more than 20 years to treat back pain.
I knew it was going to happen," William said. "It's just pushing it back onto the streets."
William was handed a flier referring him to an Anaheim pot dispensary. Some Garden Grove stores that are now closed are offering alternatives.
With their stores shut down, more than 20 pot dispensaries are offering delivery service. Another business relocated to Santa Ana, while another made the move to Los Angeles.
Crawford said he worries about safety, fearing many medical marijuana users will now buy it off the street. He welcomes more regulation.
medical marijuana, marijuana, orange county news, eileen frere
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced 5 min ago
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl 27 min ago
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Man wanted for shooting near Fresno ice rink arrested
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Photos: Winter Wonderland