Orange County News
Crystal Cathedral congregation gets new name
ORANGE, Calif. -- The congregation of the church once known as Crystal Cathedral has a new name. It is now called Shepherd's Grove.
The congregation is moving next month after selling their famous building in a bankruptcy proceeding.
The name Shepard's Grove is a nod to the early history of Orange County, where orange and walnut groves were once prevalent. It also refers to Jesus as shepherd of the Christian faithful.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange bought the giant glass building, which it is renaming, Christ Cathedral.
The Rev. Robert Schuller built the cathedral in 1980 to house his television ministry.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified 43 min ago
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified 11 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies