Orange County News
Maribel Ramos murder: Prosecutors shed light on case in suspect's 1st court appearance
SANTA ANA, Calif. -- The man accused of murdering Maribel Ramos, a Cal State Fullerton student and Iraq War veteran, made his first court appearance Tuesday afternoon.
Kwang Chol "KC" Joy, 54, is charged in Ramos' murder. His arraignment was continued to June 7. Joy remains behind bars on $1 million bail.
Prosecutors allege Joy got into a fight with Ramos after she told him to move out because he wasn't paying the rent. Authorities suspect there could also be another motive.
"He may have been infatuated with her and I don't know if that was necessarily mutual," said prosecutor Scott Simmons.
Ramos' family and friends were present in court.
"Right now, we have no words. We've never gone though this situation," said Frank Campos, Ramos' cousin.
Ramos, 36, went missing three weeks ago. She was last seen May 2 on surveillance video outside her apartment building in Orange dropping off a rent check at the leasing office. Police say she was alone. Joy and Ramos had been roommates for 18 months before her death.
Joy told Eyewitness News shortly after Ramos went missing that he had nothing to do with her disappearance.
"Not at all. Not at all. I just need her back. I need her to come back because she's my best friend, actually she's my only friend, my only family member I have, so I miss her," he said.
Her disappearance prompted an intense search. Her body was found in Modjeska Canyon Friday. Joy was arrested that day.
Ramos' family shies away from answering questions about Joy, choosing instead to focus on Ramos.
"Maribel has done a lot of things for us. She's fought for our country, and here we are fighting for her as well," Campos said.
Ramos was supposed to graduate from Cal State Fullerton with a criminal justice degree Sunday. Her niece will accept her diploma on her behalf.
body found, arrest, murder, orange county news, eileen frere
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles 42 min ago
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Parlier students get iPad Airs 32 min ago
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Proposition 30 allows Parlier students to...
33 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of...
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos