Orange County News
Grandma, 72, shoots at intruder in Anaheim
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- A 72-year-old grandmother in Anaheim turned the tables on an intruder by opening fire on him in her backyard.
Jan Cooper and her husband, an 85-year-old World War II veteran who suffers from Alzheimer's and is in a wheelchair, were home Sunday afternoon when she heard a suspicious man outside her home, attempting to climb over her fence.
Then she spotted his silhouette at her back door. Cooper grabbed her .357-magnum Smith & Wesson revolver and called 911 as her dog, Capo, barked at the intruder.
"They are in our yard. I'm firing," Cooper can be heard saying on the 911 tape. She then opens fire and screams at the suspect.
"Back up! Back up you [expletive]! Back up! Get out of here! Get the hell out of here!" she shouts to the man.
Cooper says rage just took over when she opened fire.
"I am a Christian woman and I'm very proud of it. I don't curse, but after I shot, rage took hold, and I just blasted away. In fact, my husband afterwards, says, 'I've never heard you talk like that,'" said Cooper.
Police arrested 31-year-old Brandon Alexander Perez. They say he has a long rap sheet. He's currently on parole for burglary and was staying at a half-way house not far from Cooper's home. Perez has pleaded not guilty.
Officers who arrested him said they heard the shot from Cooper's gun. Police say the bullet missed the burglar by just inches.
"I do know now I will protect myself rather than freeze or panic and so forth, that I do have the capability to take action," said Cooper.
Cooper's husband said his wife's actions didn't surprise him a bit.
Cooper said she has enjoyed shooting guns since she was a teenager. She has owned the .357-magnum revolver for 20 years. She has also tried things like archery and knife-throwing.
shooting, orange county news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates 4 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 10 more bodies found inside sunken ferry by divers
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- Singer Juan Gabriel released from Vegas hospital
- Easter Brunch recipe
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
9 min ago