Orange County News
Newport Beach fire pits: conflicting agency votes anticipated
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- A new twist in the Newport Beach fire pit fight: Newport Beach withdrew an application to remove five-dozen fire rings from its beaches.
The California Coastal Commission was scheduled to vote on the application July 11, and a staff report recommended denying the application.
However, the South Coast Air Quality Management District has its own vote scheduled a day later and its staff has recommended regulations that would prohibit the fire rings within 700 feet of homes, including all 50 of the pits Newport Beach wanted to remove.
The Newport Beach city manager has said the application was withdrawn because of the back-to-back votes that could render the Coastal Commission's decision pointless a day after it is made.
Newport Beach residents have sought to ban the pits, saying the smoke drifts over and pollutes their homes. But neighboring cities, primarily Huntington Beach, want to preserve them to preserve traditions and tourist dollars.
The issue has brought national attention and statewide debate. The California Assembly approved a nonbinding resolution in May supporting the fire rings as a "time-honored" and "important beach attraction." Orange County supervisors delivered a similar resolution.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
beach, orange county news
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in...
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos