Orange County News
Saddleback College fire: Student dies in arson fire
MISSION VIEJO, Calif. -- A student has died after being burned in an arson fire at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo.
The fire broke out in a lecture hall on the third floor of the school's Business and General Studies Building at 6:30 a.m. Monday. The 21-year old, whose name has not been released, was found unconscious but was revived and ultimately transferred to a burn center, where he died Monday night, said Jon Muir, a spokesman for the Orange County Fire Authority.
Investigators are trying to determine if the student deliberately or accidentally set himself on fire, or if he was a victim of arson. No other students were in the area at the time.
College spokeswoman Jennie McCue said the student was enrolled in the class that was supposed to meet in the classroom at 7 a.m.
The student had been enrolled at Saddleback since the spring 2011 and had a GPA of 3.23, McCue said. He was currently taking 11 units and was planning to transfer, she said.
Several classes at Saddleback College had to be relocated Tuesday. The fire left $400,000 worth of damage to the structure and contents.
The Orange County Fire Authority continues to investigate.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fire, orange county news
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather