Orange County News
Balboa Pier reopens Labor Day after yacht crash
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- Balboa Pier reopened on Labor Day after city officials deemed it safe following an overnight yacht crash.
The Lucky 7 yacht slammed into Balboa Pier at about 8:15 p.m. Sunday. The pier was closed Monday morning until city engineers assessed the damage to the structure and deemed it safe for the public.
Nick Radoi, the owner of the 55-foot yacht, and several friends took the boat out to sea Sunday. When the boat suddenly lost power, Radoi said the captain called 911 but authorities couldn't locate the boat because of the fog.
Radoi said he knew the boat was close to shore and would likely crash into the pier or the beach. They lowered the anchors, but that did not hold the boat. He said all of the 13 people on the boat were panicked because some aboard could not swim.
Fortunately, all 13 were wearing life jackets and none were injured. However, the boat and the pier did sustain damage. The pier was evacuated.
The reopening on Monday made many folks happy - especially the owner of Ruby's Diner. The restaurant sits at the end of Balboa Pier.
"I'm happy for the employees, happy for being Labor Day, a very busy day for us. So this is the end of summer, so we need these sales," said restaurant owner John Fisher.
Radoi is taking this all in stride, saying he won't let the accident keep him or Lucky 7 from hitting the high seas.
"We're going to get it fixed, and we'll be back in the ocean," Radoi said.
Radoi does not yet know how much damage was done to his $1.3 million yacht. He said he'll start with figuring out why it lost power in the first place.
orange county news, darsha philips
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard 23 min ago
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Photos: Winter Wonderland
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Low elevation snow in the catches some off...
12 min ago