Orange County News
Irvine shooting: Police shoot man while serving search warrant
IRVINE, Calif. -- A man was hospitalized after being struck in an officer-involved shooting in Irvine Tuesday morning.
Irvine Police say the shooting happened while they were preparing to serve a search warrant related to a sexual assault investigation on the 1100 block of Crested Bird at about 10:40 a.m. at the Doria Apartment Homes complex.
Police detectives made contact with the suspect in the parking lot of the complex prior to serving the warrant, according to the Irvine Police Department. As detectives were preparing to detain the suspect when he was shot.
The suspect, 35-year-old Ronald Williams, was shot by a police detective, according to police. Williams was treated at the scene by paramedics and then hospitalized. His condition was not immediately released, but police said he was alert and talking when he was transported.
Investigators say the warrant was being served in connection with a case involving lewd acts with a child. Williams was arrested for lewd or lascivious acts with a child.
No officers were injured.
Police said one handgun was recovered at the scene of the shooting. A fake handgun was discovered in a car-door pocket.
A woman who said she was in the car with the suspect said she met him three days ago. She said he is a tattoo artist, and in exchange for a tattoo she would come to his residence at the complex to babysit his 3-month-old child and clean his apartment. She was not injured in the shooting.
"He didn't pull out no gun. I'm telling you, I didn't see no gun," said the woman, identified as Lisa Henry.
The Orange County District Attorney's Office is conducting an independent investigation. The Irvine Police Department is also conducting a separate administrative investigation. Both of these are standard protocol following an officer-involved shooting.
shooting, officer-involved shooting, orange county news
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 10 min ago
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years