Orange County News
Irvine shooting: Police shoot man while serving search warrant
IRVINE, Calif. -- A man was hospitalized after being struck in an officer-involved shooting in Irvine Tuesday morning.
Irvine Police say the shooting happened while they were preparing to serve a search warrant related to a sexual assault investigation on the 1100 block of Crested Bird at about 10:40 a.m. at the Doria Apartment Homes complex.
Police detectives made contact with the suspect in the parking lot of the complex prior to serving the warrant, according to the Irvine Police Department. As detectives were preparing to detain the suspect when he was shot.
The suspect, 35-year-old Ronald Williams, was shot by a police detective, according to police. Williams was treated at the scene by paramedics and then hospitalized. His condition was not immediately released, but police said he was alert and talking when he was transported.
Investigators say the warrant was being served in connection with a case involving lewd acts with a child. Williams was arrested for lewd or lascivious acts with a child.
No officers were injured.
Police said one handgun was recovered at the scene of the shooting. A fake handgun was discovered in a car-door pocket.
A woman who said she was in the car with the suspect said she met him three days ago. She said he is a tattoo artist, and in exchange for a tattoo she would come to his residence at the complex to babysit his 3-month-old child and clean his apartment. She was not injured in the shooting.
"He didn't pull out no gun. I'm telling you, I didn't see no gun," said the woman, identified as Lisa Henry.
The Orange County District Attorney's Office is conducting an independent investigation. The Irvine Police Department is also conducting a separate administrative investigation. Both of these are standard protocol following an officer-involved shooting.
shooting, officer-involved shooting, orange county news
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos