Orange County News
Car crashes through Barranca overpass onto 5 Freeway in Irvine, killing driver
IRVINE, Calif. -- A single-car collision in Irvine killed the driver and caused roadway closures late Sunday night.
A Toyota Matrix traveling southbound on the Interstate 5 Freeway carpool lane exited the freeway at Barranca Parkway, crossed the roadway and crashed through the retaining wall of the overpass and fell onto the center median of the 5 Freeway at about 11 p.m. Sunday.
The driver, who was not identified, was the sole occupant of the vehicle. Irvine police officers and Orange County Fire Authority paramedics responded.
Barranca Parkway was closed between Irvine Center Drive and Technology drive for several hours by the investigation. Southbound I-5 lanes were also closed. All lanes were reopened after 4 a.m.
Traffic investigators are asking for witnesses to contact Sergeant Matt August at (949) 724-7023.
car crash, traffic delay, orange county news
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
- Valley thieves target truck tailgates
- Valley thieves steal packages from front doors
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos