Orange County News
Santa Ana beating murder suspect arrested
SANTA ANA, Calif. -- A man was beaten to death in Santa Ana. Police say the suspect intervened on a fight between the victim and his girlfriend.
At about 9:45 p.m. Tuesday, Santa Ana police responded to the 1000 block of Walnut Street following a report of a man on the sidewalk in need of medical assistance.
Officers found a 24-year-old man who appeared to have visible injuries to his upper torso. Fire officials and paramedics pronounced the victim dead. He was later identified as Gustavo Avalos Salazar of Santa Ana.
Investigators say Salazar was involved in a verbal and physical altercation with his girlfriend earlier that night between 9-10 p.m. in the 1000 block of West Berkeley Street. Authorities say a complete stranger intervened and beat up Salazar.
Authorities say the suspect then drove Salazar to Walnut Street and dumped him on the sidewalk.
Santa Ana police tracked the suspect down and arrested him. Jose Miguel Avalos, 27, was arrested for suspicion of murder and booked at the Santa Ana Police Department. An autopsy on the victim is pending. Investigators do not believe the incident was gang related.
murder, arrest, orange county news
- Ryan Rodriquez found safe in Fresno County 18 min ago
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam 33 min ago
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Farmers markets hit by freeze 9 min ago
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos