Orange County News
Santa Ana beating murder suspect arrested
SANTA ANA, Calif. -- A man was beaten to death in Santa Ana. Police say the suspect intervened on a fight between the victim and his girlfriend.
At about 9:45 p.m. Tuesday, Santa Ana police responded to the 1000 block of Walnut Street following a report of a man on the sidewalk in need of medical assistance.
Officers found a 24-year-old man who appeared to have visible injuries to his upper torso. Fire officials and paramedics pronounced the victim dead. He was later identified as Gustavo Avalos Salazar of Santa Ana.
Investigators say Salazar was involved in a verbal and physical altercation with his girlfriend earlier that night between 9-10 p.m. in the 1000 block of West Berkeley Street. Authorities say a complete stranger intervened and beat up Salazar.
Authorities say the suspect then drove Salazar to Walnut Street and dumped him on the sidewalk.
Santa Ana police tracked the suspect down and arrested him. Jose Miguel Avalos, 27, was arrested for suspicion of murder and booked at the Santa Ana Police Department. An autopsy on the victim is pending. Investigators do not believe the incident was gang related.
murder, arrest, orange county news
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low